In this weeks home automation show of Automation Unplugged, Alexa, and Angel Centeno of SDI Boston share their passion for the custom integration industry from their recent merger with audioDave to their impressive smart home showroom.
This week's show features our host Ron Callis interviewing Alexa and Angel Centeno. Recorded live on Wednesday, March 3rd, 2020, at 12:30 pm EST.
About Alexa and Angel Centeno
Husband and wife duo, Alexa and Angel Centeno, are the owners of Systems Design & Integration also known as SDI in the Boston area. After working with one of the largest AV integration firms in Orlando, Florida since 2006, Angel founded SDI in 2012. Once Alexa joined shortly thereafter, the company began shifting away from simple TV installations and surround sound projects to implementing complete smart home automation systems and full integrations for larger homes.
SDI was awarded Savant's 2018 Through & Through Award and named Best of Boston in 2019 by Boston Magazine for Smart Home Specialist. Alexa and Angel are one of the youngest businesses in the country to pick up and offer the exclusive McIntosh product line. In mid-2019, they finalized their merger well known Savant integration firm audioDave out of Newton, Mass. SDI’s impressive 6,500 square foot showroom in Needham welcomes builders, designers, and homeowners to experience what technology truly is today and how it can be implemented into the design industry.
Here are some of the topics Ron had the opportunity to discuss with Alexa and Angel Centeno:
- How they've accomplished running a business as husband and wife
- Their recent merger with audioDave, a company with over 38 years in the industry
- The response from customers and the design trade on their 6,500 sqft showroom
- How they approach Instagram to help build their platform and reach a larger audience
This week's show features our host Ron Callis interviewing Jamie Briesemeister. Recorded live on Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 12:30 pm EST.
About Jamie Briesemeister
Today’s show features my interview with Jamie Briesemeister, co-founder of Integration Controls, a home automation company out of St. Louis, MO, that focuses on providing intuitive, design-friendly technology solutions that enhance and simplify life.
Jamie was selected as one of 2019’s Powerful Women in Consumer Technology and is also newly elected member of the CEDIA Board of Directors. She has spoken at a number of conferences and seminars, advocating for home technology considerations in the design/build process, as a guest speaker, as an instructor, or presenting CEUs to architects and designers.
Here are some of the topics Ron had the opportunity to discuss with Jamie Briesemeister
- Jamie’s transition from working in the healthcare industry to starting a business in the CI space with her husband, Jeff
- What has helped her throughout the years to improve within her role as CEO, both within and outside the industry from podcasts featuring women in business to business leadership books
- Being a woman in business and resources she’s been able to share and gain from other women in the field
- How past experiences helped her become a stronger leader
The Business of Running a Business
This week's show features our host Ron Callis interviewing Matt Scott. Recorded live on Wednesday, October 9th, 2019 at 12:30 pm EST.
About Matt Scott
Matt started in pro audio/video at a very early age, running his first live FOH event at age 12. Matt continued in the industry starting OMEGA Audio Video in 2001, specializing in HOW and professional audio/video design and installation. He expanded the services to include residential AV in 2004 and continues to work heavily in both markets. Matt specializes in HOW, live sound, lighting control, home theatre design, control systems, and connected home technologies.
Here are some of the topics Ron had the opportunity to discuss with Matt Scott:
- Matt's role on the CEDIA board
- Why he volunteers his time to the industry
- Managing both resi and commercial project work
The Future of Artificial Intelligence in the Automation Industry
This week's show features our host Ron Callis interviewing Matt Sailor. Recorded live on Monday August 26th, 2019 at 12:30pm EST.
About Matt Sailor
Co-founded IC Realtime and has served as CEO since its inception. Mr. Sailor is involved with all running facets of the business and has a proven executive management track record with over 20 years of experience driving growth and innovation within the Security Industry. As the Former Vice President of Mace Security, and a major contributor to an incredibly explosive 1,000 percent sales growth factor, Matt is a thought-provoking leader with an act and vision for excellence.
Here are some of the topics Ron had the opportunity to discuss with Matt Sailor:
- Matt´s background in the industry
- Keeping up to date with technology
- Savant Partnership
- Manufacturing in Korea vs. China
- AI World (new AI-enabled recorders and cameras)
Process Improvement and its benefits for the Industry
This week's show features our host Ron Callis interviewing Jason Sayen. Recorded live on Wednesday August 21st, 2019 at 12:30pm EST.
About Jason Sayen
Jason is an industry leader with over 26 years of experience in the Consumer Electronics Industry. He has spent the majority of his career working directly for manufacturers of high-end car audio and residential electronics. In June of 2010, Jason received the honor of being recognized by Dealerscope Magazine's Top 40 under 40 award.
Currently he is Director of Sales and Business Development for LK & Associates which is a rep firm in the state of Florida representing over 20 of the top brands of residential consumer electronics ranging in categories of automation, motorization, energy management, audio, shading and lighting control.
Jason is also a CEDIA COI and actively teaches classes with the design and build community often partnering with dealers to drive future business.
Here are some of the topics Ron had the opportunity to discuss with Jason Sayen:
- Jason´s background in the industry
- State of the industry and challenges dealers face.
- Business processes and the importance of having documentation for your business.
- CEDIA 2019
- Six Sigma
- The importance of working with the design and build community on education
The Importance of Preparing for Inevitable Economic Downturns
This week's show features our host Ron Callis interviewing Robert Keeler. Recorded live on Wednesday July 10th, 2019 at 12:30pm EST.
About Robert Keeler
Robert Keeler is an Industry veteran who started in the car audio industry in retail and manufacturing and subsequently Home AV with stints at Pioneer, Hitachi, Stewart Filmscreen and a couple of start ups along the way. Today my role is to "sell CEDIA" and ensure members see not only the value but take advantage of said value.
Here are some of the topics Ron had the opportunity to discuss with Robert Keeler:
- Robert's background in the industry
- Developing Original Content
- Events (lunch&learns)
- Photographing/Documenting your work
- The CEDIA Designer software
- Preparing for a downturn