In this weeks home automation show of Automation Unplugged, industry leader and VP of Western Audio/Video, Erick Burton shares his background as a custom integrator and how him and his business are approaching this pandemic with stride.
This week's show features our host Ron Callis interviewing Erick Burton. Recorded live on Monday, March 30th, 2020, at 3:15 pm EST.
About Erick Burton
After meeting David Wilson of Wilson Audio as a teen over 25 years ago, Erick was inspired by David’s passion and began spending his time experimenting with audio and custom installations. In 1999, Erick began his career in Salt Lake City when he joined Audition Audio as an installer. The following year, he founded The Media Room. Although The Media Room ultimately failed, Erick says that the lessons he learned led to his career as an independent AV contractor specializing in estate level projects and interior design.
Later in 2014, Erick joined San Francisco-based integration firm, Western Audio/Video, where here is now a partner and Vice President. WAV was founded in 1977 and while their roots are with high-level residential AV integration, they’ve transitioned into a firm with an 80/20 focus on commercial AV over the last five years.
- How Erick and his team are handling the challenges brought by COVID-19.
- How Erick's unique experience with Cystic Fibrosis prepared him, his family, and company to stay safe during this pandemic
- Why Erick limits his media consumption and ways he limits anxiety during these stressful times
- Erick's thoughts on preparing for the new normal after the Coronavirus pandemic is cleared
In this weeks home automation show of Automation Unplugged, business and life coach John Geraghty shares his perspective on the importance of mindset and how our day-to-day approach can affect us during a time of crisis.
This week's show features our host Ron Callis interviewing John Geraghty. Recorded live on Thursday, March 26th, 2020, at 6:00 pm EST.
About John Geraghty
John founded the executive coaching firm, Courageous Authenticity, in 2007 after being confronted by the harsh consequences that came from his clients focusing their goals and objects on economic factors. As he witnessed multiple financially successful clients face life diminishing factors beyond their balance sheets, he decided to expand his focus and contribution to involve a more integrated and comprehensive approach.
Today, John's mission is to awaken, inspire and equip leaders to envision, pursue, and celebrate living lives of joy and impact.
Here are some of the topics Ron had the opportunity to discuss with John Geraghty:
- John’s recommendations on staying connected with your team in a virtual work environment
- Why right now is the time to dive in and focus on how to keep adding value to your clients and your company
- Ways to shift your approach and processes to stay transparent and align with the recent stresses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic
- What it means to “reframe” your mindset during uncertain times with the “The Prism of Perspective” approach
- John’s approach to fitness and the importance of practicing routine as a way to stay grounded and focused
In this weeks home automation show of Automation Unplugged, Ron Callis interviewed custom integrator Rohan Dunbar, Owner of Atlanta based smart home automation company, Digital Lifestyle Solutions.
This week's show features our host Ron Callis interviewing Rohan Dunbar. Recorded live on Wednesday, March 25th, 2020, at 12:30 pm EST.
About Rohan Dunbar
Rohan Dunbar, Owner of Atlanta based Digital Lifestyle Solutions. Rohan got his start in the AV business in 2005 working with Audio Command Systems out of New York learning how to install smart systems in high-end homes. It wasn't until 2008 that he began working closely with Crestron control systems for Residential and Commercial spaces.
In 2010, Rohan founded Digital Lifestyle Solutions with a focus on offering solutions as a CSP, Crestron Service Provider to integration firms throughout North America. In 2017, he made the transition to convert Digital Lifestyle Solutions into a full installation company serving both residential and commercial clients in the greater Atlanta market
Here are some of the topics Ron had the opportunity to discuss with Rohan Dunbar:
- Rohan’s transition from Crestron Service Provider into a Certified Crestron Dealer
- Ways he is pivoting his focus to make up for project pauses caused by COVID-19
- How his business is preparing for the possible boom of business on the other side of COVID-19
- Which Crestron technologies have him jazzed for 2020
- What he’s doing to help other integrators grow and thrive
In this weeks home automation show of Automation Unplugged, Alexa, and Angel Centeno of SDI Boston share their passion for the custom integration industry from their recent merger with audioDave to their impressive smart home showroom.
This week's show features our host Ron Callis interviewing Alexa and Angel Centeno. Recorded live on Wednesday, March 3rd, 2020, at 12:30 pm EST.
About Alexa and Angel Centeno
Husband and wife duo, Alexa and Angel Centeno, are the owners of Systems Design & Integration also known as SDI in the Boston area. After working with one of the largest AV integration firms in Orlando, Florida since 2006, Angel founded SDI in 2012. Once Alexa joined shortly thereafter, the company began shifting away from simple TV installations and surround sound projects to implementing complete smart home automation systems and full integrations for larger homes.
SDI was awarded Savant's 2018 Through & Through Award and named Best of Boston in 2019 by Boston Magazine for Smart Home Specialist. Alexa and Angel are one of the youngest businesses in the country to pick up and offer the exclusive McIntosh product line. In mid-2019, they finalized their merger well known Savant integration firm audioDave out of Newton, Mass. SDI’s impressive 6,500 square foot showroom in Needham welcomes builders, designers, and homeowners to experience what technology truly is today and how it can be implemented into the design industry.
Here are some of the topics Ron had the opportunity to discuss with Alexa and Angel Centeno:
- How they've accomplished running a business as husband and wife
- Their recent merger with audioDave, a company with over 38 years in the industry
- The response from customers and the design trade on their 6,500 sqft showroom
- How they approach Instagram to help build their platform and reach a larger audience
In this weeks home automation show of Automation Unplugged, Lee Travis, innovator and thought leader in the home automation industry, brings a unique perspective as an owner of two custom integration firms in different markets.
This week's show features our host Ron Callis interviewing Lee Travis. Recorded live on Wednesday, February 26th, 2020, at 12:30 pm EST.
About Lee Travis
Lee got his start in car audio over 30 years prior to founding Wipliance in 2006. With two locations, one in Bellevue, WA, and the other in Scottsdale, AZ Wipliance has 35 employees, made $5 million in revenue, and was named Integrator of the Year for 2019 by the Consumer Technology Association and CES.
Wipliance’s unique approach to marketing efforts includes a dynamic video portfolio, exciting showcase events, and a sister company, Obot Electric, that offers a seamless experience for clients.
Here are some of the topics Ron had the opportunity to discuss with Lee Travis:
- His process in integrating electrical contracting to his business
- Challenges and advantages to operating in two different markets, Washington State and Arizona
- The importance and benefits of being part of a buying group
- The future of 5G and how it might impact the custom integration industry
In this weeks home automation show of Automation Unplugged, coach and EOS Implementor, Cesar Quintero shares his experience with the EOS process for optimal growth and company structure.
This week's show features our host Ron Callis interviewing Cesar Quintero. Recorded live on Wednesday, February 7th, 2019, at 12:30 pm EST.
About Cesar Quintero
At 24 years old, Cesar moved from his home country of Venezuela to start a meal delivery service that was ahead of its time. After 5 years, the company made over six figures and had 27 employees, but he was stuck in the business running most functions in the leadership team. He then joined the Entrepreneurs Organization (EO) and learned about the book Traction, and implemented EOS in his company.
With 2 years of implementing EOS, the business doubled in size, and Cesar was able to pull back and work on the business solely as Visionary. That freed up his time to start 2 other businesses and started to mentor and coach entrepreneurs that wanted to scale.
Here are some of the topics Ron had the opportunity to discuss with Cesar Quintero:
- What entrepreneurs can expect from working with an EOS Implementer
- Defining the 6 key components in EOS
- Type of businesses that would benefit from the EOS system
- The EOS proven process of implementation